top of page
  • Writer's pictureKorinna Duke

At a loss for words

Updated: May 8, 2019

"We have a 14 month old and a newborn who can't be separated. Do you want to take them?"

"Hold on, let me call my husband."

That phone call came Wednesday afternoon a few hours after I had been told that we still weren't approved through the state. I called my husband 5 times before he answered his phone. While waiting for him to call me back, I decided I should call my caseworker back.

"Maybe I should've asked a few more questions before hanging up the phone."

She laughed and said, "Yes, usually people ask a few more questions than you do."

I found out they were sisters who were currently in Dallas and they had no health issues. While on the phone with our caseworker Kevin called me back.

ME: "BABE!! There are sisters who need a home! Can we take them?"

HUSBAND: (Pause) "Um... I thought you said we weren't certified yet?"

ME: "They are calling the state to get us approved as quickly as possible. Anyway, what do you think?"

HUSBAND: "What do YOU think? Can we handle two?"

ME: "I think we should do it!!

HUSBAND: "How old are they?"

ME: "14 months and a few days old!"

HUSBAND: "I mean, if you think so, then go for it."

ME: "I think so! I'll call you back."

*Yes, I was basically just freaking out!*

The phone call was after 2. I didn't really know what was going on after that point, but I called my family and my close friends. My friends were at the house by 4 with clothes, food to stock the pantry, toys, diapers, dinner, etc. Even if my brain wasn't processing what I needed to do next, they were there to think for me. Praise the Lord for that!!

We waited until 11pm for our sweet big sister to show up. I walked out to the car to get her out of her carseat and remember thinking, "She's so beautiful!" We signed papers, asked a few questions and attempted to get her to fall asleep in a strange bed in a strange room with strange people. Eventually, she fell asleep.

We waited until Saturday afternoon to get the text that her sister was getting discharged from the hospital and we would have her that evening.

When that little girl arrived, she was so tiny and so beautiful. Her nose looked just like her sister's nose. She slept so peacefully. My husband never spending much time around newborns before, looked like a natural with her too.

This was us after one week with our two girls! We were so tired. lol

. . . To be continued . . .


bottom of page